One of the more notable names in the history of Captiva Island is Andy Rosse, of which a main road on the island is now named. Andy Rosse was born in England in 1903, then moved to Tampa with his family shortly thereafter. At the age of 16, he was hired by a fishing camp near Gasparilla Island and honed his skills net fishing.
In 1924, he married his wife Dessa and they moved to Captiva Island two years later. Then, in 1935, Andy started working for Tween Waters Inn as a fishing guide until he bought his own dock. Andy bought the Captiva Dock in 1940, which became “Andy’s Fishing Pier” for a mere $800. The money to buy the pier came from Mr. Ding Darling. At the time, the Captiva Grocery store was located at the Pier until Andy made arrangements with Ding Darling to move the store to where it stands today – at the corner of Andy Rosse Lane and Captiva Drive. After the store was moved, Andy turned the pier store into a restaurant and bar, and then later into a commercial fish house. At the time, this was the only place on Captiva where you could rent a boat, receive the mail, and collect supplies from the mainland. The popular “Andy’s Fishing Pier” is now McCarthy’s Marina, home of Captiva Cruises. Andy Rosse passed away November of 1984.